The Grandmothers is a series of natural ink and gouache paintings on paper. These portraits of elder women have been created with handmade inks made from wild harvested plants, as well as kitchen scraps. Most of the clothing and birds and animals are painted in gouache. This series explores the intermingling of natural and traditional mediums, as an expression of elder-hood and spirit.
1. Abuela, 5x7, black walnut ink (portrait) and gouache (hair, bird detail and clothing) on paper.
2. Kuhn Oma, 5x7, sumac, elderberry, and turmeric ink (portrai), gouache (hair, glasses. bird detail, and clothing)
3. Grandmother Josephine, 5x7, black walnut and elderberry ink (portrait and hat) gouache (fish and clothing detail)
4. Babushka, 5x7, india ink (portrait), gouache (chicken).
5. Oma, 5x7, elderberry, sumac, black walnut, turmeric ink (portrait), gouache (clothing and birds).
6. Daadee-Ma, 5x7, black walnut and elderberry ink (portrait and bird detail), gouache (clothing).
7. Lita, 5x7, iris, avocado, coffee inks (portrait and clothing), gouache (bird detail and clothing).